How to Keep a Laminate Floor Looking Fresh
So you have a lustrous laminate floor, and you want to keep it that way. Thankfully, laminate floors are very durable thanks to their protective coating. As with any type of flooring, though, they are susceptible to damage and wear over time. Here are some suggestions for how to maintain that brilliant sheen:
Regular cleaning is key.
- Make sure to sweep the floor consistently with a soft brush or a dry mop to keep particles from building up. Though laminate flooring is fairly scratch resistant, it can still be damaged by the dirt that gets tracked in the house. If you sweep in the direction the flooring was laid, it can help keep dirt out of the cracks.
- If you need more than a dry cleaning, try simply using hot water or diluted white vinegar to wipe the floor. Any time you use anything wet to clean your laminate flooring, use as little as possible and dry it immediately. Standing moisture can stain or damage the protective coating.
- If there is something caked onto the floor that must be scraped off (e.g. wax or gum), use a plastic scraper with a flat edge to avoid scratching the floor.
- When you spill grease on the floor, no worries! Just place an ice pack on the spot until it hardens, then gently scrape it off.
Use typical cleaning products sparingly.
- Should you wish to try any products besides water and vinegar, make sure to test a small, inconspicuous section first in case the cleaner blemishes the floor.
- Avoid the use of any cleaner that polishes or oils the surface. These cleaners make the floor very slippery.
Help the floor wear evenly.
- Rearrange your furniture from time to time so that you won’t have traffic on the same sections of floor all the time. This will give your floor a longer lifespan.
- Do your best to block consistent UV light, which can cause the colors to fade over time, from hitting certain spots of the floor by using appropriate window coverings.
Laminate flooring is easy to maintain and looks great. But, like any material, if you want it to stay radiant, you have to put a little bit of time into preserving it. If you follow these simple procedures, your floor will keep looking like new.
If you’d like to speak with us further about how to maintain your floor, or would like to get an estimate for repair or installation, call Perfect Flooring today!